Woah, this was one busy week! I am exhausted, but also energized in the way of being ready to take on the world. Ya know what I mean?
Yesterday I had a blast going to a dairy farm with my fellow dietetic interns. We got to meet some cows…
We learned that calves drink at most 2 gallons a day, whereas a dairy cow will typically produce 6-8 gallons of milk. They make enough for all of us.;)
I loved getting to talk face-to-face with the farmers themselves. Being there, I realized just how much hard work and dedication such a job would take. We were all drenched in sweat after an hour of being there and we didn’t even do any work!
One thing we talked about was antibiotics and growth hormones in cows. Antibiotics are used as little as possible and when a cow must be treated with antibiotics, all of their milk is dumped until the antibiotics are no longer in their system. Most farmers are a part of co-ops that agree to not use growth hormones. The milk is tested both at the farm and at the plant before being processed. If the milk is contaminated, the farmer is issued a HUGE bill. Much bigger than what they sold the milk for. Humane treatment of the cows is vital for both farming processes and ensuring milk production. Happy cows mean happy milk!
To be honest, I’m not a big milk drinker, but I do love other dairy products like cheese and yogurt. I’m thinking about adding a glass of milk to my day because of the nutrients it provides are so plentiful- magnesium, vitamin D, calcium, and potassium.
It’s been a filled week. I’m going to try to sum it up in this week’s Top 3 Friday!
Top 3 Eats
- Naan Pizza. On Sunday night before I left for our internship I made Terry and I this super easy dinner: naan bread with tomato sauce, hummus, carrots, and goat cheese.
2. Burrito bowls. For our first night of orientation, we decided to make burrito bowls. Rice, black beans, cheese, salsa, iceberg lettuce, and corn. This was so good! I don’t know why we don’t make this more often.
Top 3 Lows
- I had a bit of stressful weekend trying to get everything before leaving for Rock Hill for the week. Everything came together, but it was quite a scramble!
- I miss Terry! I’ve been in Rock Hill for the week and haven’t seen him since Monday. I’m ready for seeing him and Jules tonight.
- Summer is gone!
Top 3 Highs
- Spending time with my friends. One of the perks of orientation being in Rock Hill is getting to stay with my friends. I’m savoring this since my social life will be limited once my orientation starts.
- Orientation. This whole week I’ve learned so much from various seminars and talking to my fellow RD-to-be’s. I’m so excited to get started in the hospital!
- Date night with Terry this past Saturday. I loved getting to go out on our new town together and share a meal at a new place.
Link up with your top 3’s –
What’s your top 3 highs for the week?